Friday, October 09, 2009

Interesting connections.

I got an email from a friend who saw my face posted in the Fans section on FaceBook's FarmVille fan page.  The funny thing about this is that this friend of mine and I have never met face to face.  He lives in the state north of the one I live in and is 15 years younger than me.  So how are we friends and why on earth are we even emailing each other and sending video messages through Tokbox?  It's a fun little story.

Back in 2005 (I think) I discovered the world of MMORPGs through my brother-in-law MaTT.  He said that he had some friends on there who played and they would all help me level my character quickly so we could all do some dungeon parties together.  Lineage II was the game and i got sucked in fast and hard.  Anyway, we all had TeamSpeak connections so we were talking while playing.  So for about a year there were just the four of us; MaTT, BD, Ian and me.

Then BD discovered a new game called Rappelz and so we started playing that.  Then I got my brother "Tweeter" hooked.  Soon there were about 8 of us playing but I had only met in real life 2 of them because I was related to them.  Anyway, when we were 8 members strong I was introduced to John.  I liked John from day one.  Even though we were on TeamSpeak and I could only hear him I could tell he was a laid back/fun loving kind of guy.  And he always laughed and made the rest of us laugh.

Now John wasn't the only person that I met through this group that I still keep in touch with.  In fact I am friends with John, MaTT and another (Alex) through FaceBook as well.

Anyway, Rappelz didn't last long enough.  Some of the group had to go back to school (college with 1 high school) so the attendance got thin and soon there were only a few of us playing daily.

For some reason we have all stayed in contact even though we rarely (if at all) play together any more.  In fact John says he's not even playing games at all and has taken up fly fishing and focusing on his new marriage.  Admirable!!  We still share, through emails, links and update each other on what's going on in our lives.  It's very cool I think.  I just wished we all lived closer so we could hang out more.

It's very interesting how life and people can bring new people into your life.  Had I not spent too much time playing Lineage II I would not have met these good men.  Men that I wish I could hang out with even though I've never actually met them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your my new hero bro, that is the first , well second but bd is a women anyways, story in my favor haha. Thanks man, and I would love to hit you up in indie, but after the new house, its hard finding the spare cash to make a random trip like that haha. I will try, then I can see you, bd, and ian. Would be a fun time.